Thursday 13 December 2012

Sketch Sketch Sketch :)

So I've finally got sketches for my final assignment of the module. How time flies, it's crazy. My initial concept for the project was to highlight how people are not taking measures against child labour, despite the face that there is much awareness of this phenomenon.





After consulting my lecturer, he said that the message wasn't clear enough; and he suggested highlighting how children are forced into labour intensive jobs of sewing "branded" items. And thus i came up with this concept.






After finishing this sketch, I had an itching feeling inside, kinda like an unsatisfied feeling. My sketch seemed to shallow and now meaningful enough. That was when i remembered listening to Keane's video (Night Sky). And i came up with this concept, of how sometimes people think they are doing what is better for the child (because they can't afford to provide the child with a better life) and thus give them to people who claim to be caring and loving towards the child. Only to find that these sort of people have no good intentions at all. I thought of an idea to put lyrics from the song, to give more meaning to my sketch.















Theeeen i realized, copyright issues. Urgh :( ,  so it was back to the drawing board for me, the fourth idea of my sketch was pretty simple, whereby a dark black hole sucks the child away from it's parents. The black hole, being the black market.





And after a loooong hard thought, I FINALLY came up with my final sketch. Which is this ! I thought of cages, and how birds are always locked up in cages, never to be free. So this sketch holds the concept of child prostitution and how the child's life hangs in the hand of their kidnapper; never to be free. To further strengthen this concept, I did not draw any doors or locks whatsoever into my sketch, representing that there  is no way out for this poor girl. I call this piece, Trapped.




No comments:

Post a Comment